Industry research is a great tool to build lists and target the right people. Use this resource to help guide your research on an industry, and start a foundation for your marketing and sales.
Example: “Seafood Wholesalers”
- US gov NAICS database – https://www.census.gov/
- Search the NAICS for “seafood” – https://www.census.gov/
- Review the list and choose a few that you think match what you are looking for: https://www.census.gov/
- Fish (except canned, packaged frozen) merchant wholesalers 424460
- Fresh fish merchant wholesalers 424460
- Fresh seafood merchant wholesalers 424460
- Review the description to confirm that these are the types of organizations you want.
- Go to the IBIS World (industry research firm) site: https://www.ibisworld.
- Search for “424460” to see if they have a report – https://www.ibisworld.com/
united-states/market-research- reports/fish-seafood- wholesaling-industry/
- Go to Reference Solutions (this is a free database to look up companies that you can get to via a Cincinnati library card) – http://www.referenceusa.com.
- On the left-hand side, choose Keyword/SIC/NAICS, choose Search all NAICS, and type in the NAICS code (424460) in the box
- Click on each of the results (they move to the “selected” section)
- Click “view results” (green button on the top right)
- Click on “download” (in menu bar)
- Choose Excel, detailed results and “download records” (see attached file – it’s just a sample)
- Get feedback from sales and others internally to confirm that the NAICS and the list are correct
- Consider buying an industry report from a company like IBIS (mentioned in step 5
Download the example HERE